Every time we visit Berlin we always book some time to enjoy a walk on the famous Unter den Linden boulevard. The boulevard connects two reference monuments: the Brandenburg Gate and the Schlossbrücke Bridge. A number of architectural masterpieces are located between the two monuments.
We walked on the boulevard in different moments of the year. Spring and autumn are the most pleasant moments when one can admire the refreshing green and the genuine autumn colour palette. December might be a good choice as the boulevard wears Christmas clothes and lights.
We never get tired of seeing the iconic Brandenburg Gate with every occasion we visit Berlin. The gate opens the way to the Unter den Linden boulevard and is a symbol of both past and future.
The Brandenburg Gate reminds us about key historical moments happening not only in Germany, but also in Europe. Being a reference point between West and East the gate also bears the hope for harmony and peace in a united Europe.
Neue Wache Memorial
The Neue Wache (New Guardhouse) has been serving different needs and purposes according to certain historical moments. It is located in the former East Berlin.
The Memorial was build at the beginning of the 19th century to honour those who died during the wars against Napoleon. For about one century the building housed the Royal Guard. Before the Soviet era the building honoured the victims of the World War I. From 1960 on the monument honoured the memory of all victims of fascism.
After the German reunification the place has been named the “Central Memorial of the Federal Republic of Germany for the Victims of War and Tyranny.”
Friedrich the Great Monument
This monument is an impressive statue in bronze representing Frederick II of Prussia. It was created in 1851. The statue was moved by East Germans and regained its initial place after the German reunification.
What is interesting to note is that during its latest restoration in 2006 the statue was covered with a layer of wax to protect it against any piece of graffiti art.
The Berliner Dom is the largest Protestant church in Germany. During World War II the monument was severely damaged. The restoration work was initiated by the former East Germans and completed in 1993.
The current building look was finalised in 1905 after several projects on adding new elements to the initial structure, a work carried out since the 15th century. Over the centuries the Cathedral was extended, from a first building completed in 1451, to four buildings, completed between 1750 and 1905.
The Berlin Cathedral architectural style changed in time, from renaissance (until 1538) passing through gothic, baroque and neoclassical, to neo-Renaissance, the style featured nowadays since 1905.
St. Mary’s Church & Fernsehturm
St. Mary’s Church (Marienkirche) is located near Alexanderplatz, not on Unter den Linden, but very visible from the boulevard, along with the Television Tower (Fernsehturm).
The two buildings have witnessed the history and the way they are featured in this picture suggests a dialogue of modern and ancient times facing the Unter den Linden boulevard.
More about Berlin