The Courthouse Palace along with the Rusca Palace and its Clock Tower are the most attractive buildings of the Courthouse Place, which is at a walking distance between Cours Saleya and Place Masséna in Nice, France.
The Courthouse Palace is a piece of neoclassical architecture, which was built at the end of the 19th century. The building looks stylish and noticeable. The French motto “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité” is in place.
The Palace front colonnade consists of a row with impressive columns, which support a traditional red roof. The neoclassical front staircase is high enough to enable a viewer admire the square from a top angle.
The Rusca Palace faces the Courthouse Palace from the other side of the square. In the past the Rusca Palace was meant to house military troops, being a former military quarter. The Palace bears the name of Rusca, a general of Napoleon. Today the Rusca Palace is a part of the Courthouse.
The Rusca Clock Tower goes strait to the sky, from one corner of the Rusca Palace. Architect Bernard Spinetta built the initial Clock Tower on the place of a convent, around 1700. Throughout the centuries the building was transformed and adapted on several occasions. The latest major renovation work took place in 1987, on the occasion of building an underground parking.
The Courthouse Place is paved with beautiful coloured stones, which, along with the central fountain, grasps the sunrays in every moment of the day. The Clock Tower gets different colours and shades during the day, depending on weather and time.
The Courthouse Place of Nice is not only a favourite touristic place to enjoy, but also a favourite meeting point of locals and a perfect venue for concerts and other outdoor events. One of the most famous ongoing events is one of the book lovers, who meet here each month.