The Russian Orthodox Cathedral is a piece of Russian land in the heart of Nice.
The Cathedral is officially the property of the Russian Federation following a final decision of the French Court, which closed a long juridical battle between the former and the current owner.
The Cathedral welcomed its first visitors in 1912, when the building was completed. During the Soviet times it was a symbol of the Russian nobility leaving in Western Europe.
The building architecture is in byzantine style, which is the style of most Orthodox churches. It is a style richer in shapes and forms. The Cathedral is composed of five domes, a dominant one in the centre and the other four, smaller, making the four arms of a cross.
Because of current renovation works we could not enter the Cathedral. But we heard that the monument houses an impressive icon collection and valuable pieces of woodwork. So, it is a good reason to come back to Nice and visit this architectural masterpiece.
France: Reclaiming Nice’s Russian Heritage by Deutsche Welle
Full-scale renovation begins on Russian Orthodox Church by The Riviera Times